Since 2016, the Kosovo Foundation for Open Society has fostered academic and policy research on Kosovo through a structured fellowship providing financial support and academic supervision to young scholars.
With the aim of supporting original research and increased cooperation between academic scholars and policy analysts from the EU and the Western Balkans, the Kosovo Research and Analysis Fellowship (KRAF) provides micro-grants to young researchers to conduct their research, as well as academic supervision from stellar scholars in their chosen fields. Additionally, KFOS provides material support for the fellowship's kick-off workshop and field visit research trip.
Since its establishment, the fellowship has supported over 30 researchers and policy experts from all over Europe and has resulted in the publication of three volumes of original academic research, dozens of policy briefs, and hundreds of opinion pieces in European and regional media in numerous languages.
Focusing on recruiting a wide range of policy and academic experts from the region and beyond, the fellowship has built a network of scholars and experts whose work has contributed greatly to understanding Kosovo’s state-building and the EU integration efforts.
Applications for the fellowship are accepted through an open call, once a year. More information on when the application is open can be found here.
WHAT WE OFFER
In 2022-23 cohort, KRAF fellows will have the opportunity to:
- Participate in a kick-off workshop during which they will attend master classes and get advice on their individual research projects.
- Receive research guidance from experienced academics and policy experts for the entire duration of this project;
- Visit Kosovo and spend several days in data collection, interviews and meeting Kosovar policy makers and civil society as well as the other fellows;
- Draft and publish a policy brief tackling pressing issues that will receive wide publicity in the EU countries and the Western Balkans'
- Receive remuneration for their research and publicity work at the total amount of 3,000 EUR;
- Disseminate findings in both EU countries and the Western Balkans through various public events, dissemination acts, networking activities that are part of KFOS projects;
- Become members of an exciting new group of up and coming researchers who will devise creative and novel ideas for future research focusing on Kosovo and the Western Balkans.